About the Spine Program
The Spine Program specializes in the evaluation and treatment of pediatric spine and back conditions and injuries. No matter the type or severity, our pediatric spine doctors search for non-surgical treatment options first. That’s because they’re often the safest and most effective care plans. When we believe surgery is the best treatment, patients and their families can expect innovative techniques from one of the top children’s hospital spine centers in the country.
Spine conditions we treat at the Spine Program
We treat a variety of spine and back conditions in children, teens and young adults, including:
Spine services we offer
Our Spine Program offers a number of services, including:
- Orthopedic surgeons and physician assistants who specialize in advanced pediatric spine care
- Continuum of care from infancy through young adulthood
- Individualized treatment plans
- Low radiation dose imaging with EOS
- Access to 3D modeling and surgical planning for complex cases
When surgery is recommended, services include:
Watch Hunter’s Story
Hunter Peters, 3, had a condition called congenital kyphoscoliosis that was twisting his backbone so much that it was pinching his spinal cord, preventing him from walking. Watch how our team used several innovative techniques, including 3D modeling, to help him find his legs.
Why choose us for pediatric spinal care
Shorter hospital length of stays for spinal fusion surgery when compared to the state average
Pediatric spine procedures performed each year
Pediatric idiopathic scoliosis procedures are performed here than any hospital in Colorado
Our Spine Program performs more than 250 pediatric spine procedures each year — more than anyone else in our region. Because of this, our spine surgery outcomes, or measures of safety and success, are among the best in the industry. On average, our patients experience a shorter stay and have a lower risk of infection.
Patients and their families also appreciate our comprehensive and friendly care plan, which includes:
- A welcome program and coordinator who provides a hospital introduction and offers support services
- An interactive spine education class patients can take to help them prepare for surgery and recovery
- An opportunity to connect with a former patient to ask questions and share experiences
- Accommodations throughout treatment for complex medical problems
Spinal research and innovations
Our specialists also participate in professional groups and ongoing research projects that explore new and innovative care for spine conditions. This includes:
Spine Program patient stories
Caroline Cappelletti: Learn how Caroline stayed on pointe despite scoliosis.
Nora Casper: Meet Nora, who was diagnosed with congenital scoliosis at just 5 months old.
Jessie Freeland: Learn about Jessie's experience with spine surgery.
Contact the Spine Program
For appointments at Anschutz Medical Campus or South Campus, call 720-777-6962.
For appointments at Outpatient Care at Briargate, Colorado Springs, call 719-305-9060.