Pediatricians aren’t only providers who care for children. We’re also advocates for the total health and well-being of our young patients. Pediatricians explain the dangers of vaping and e-cigarette use to parents and patients. Some even petition the state legislature for congenital heart disease screenings for newborns. No matter how they practice, pediatricians work to defend the health of children.
If you've ever felt drawn to advocacy and politics, this podcast episode is for you. Our guest is a homegrown Denver pediatrician, child health advocate and state legislator.
Listen to pediatric medical experts discuss political advocacy and healthcare
On this episode of Charting Pediatrics, we are thrilled to welcome Rep. Dr. Yadira Caraveo. Dr. Caraveo was born and raised in Denver. She attended medical school at the University of Colorado. After medical school, she completed her residency in pediatrics at the University of New Mexico.
Her interest in political and child advocacy began during medical school. These interests eventually led her to run for the Colorado House of Representatives to represent House District 31. In the November 2018 midterm election, Dr. Caraveo was elected. Despite a busy legislative session, she remains a practicing pediatrician at Peak Pediatrics in Denver.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Dr. Caraveo’s journey in pediatrics
- Her involvement with the doctor’s union and advocacy programs during medical school
- Navigating a demanding full-time physician's schedule and a new political role
- How she returned to advocacy after being a private practice pediatrician
- How growing up in a working class, immigrant family impacts her legislative perspective
- The initial experience in county politics that led to the state legislature
- The intensity of her first legislative session and what it felt like to be thrown in the deep end
- Her unique contribution as a rare medical professional working in politics
- The negative perceptions that exist around physicians, especially in government
- The experience of advocating for patients at a legislative level
- How it felt to come up against funding priorities for the first time
- The need to measure a new idea against the practical value it would have for patients
- What other medical practitioners can do if they are interested in advocacy
- The one-month federal advocacy internship at the American Academy of Pediatrics
Child-centered treatment at Children’s Colorado
At Children’s Colorado, our pediatric providers and experts understand that children and teens deserve special attention. We see more, treat more and heal more children than any hospital in our seven-state region. Refer a patient to Children’s Colorado.